Tuesday, May 7, 2013

There will be new speakers

Speakers

Not so far I bought some used Onkyo gear on a garage sale. LP, preamplifier, amplifier, FM tuner, cassette deck, surround amp, two tower speakers - all for 50 bucks. Great deal. But speakers were just burned down. Initially i just wanted to repair speakers, but it was just a beginning of a new adventure... Speakers design was quite questionable - 3.5 feet tall speakers made of 0.25” panels, not properly sealed. 1st-order crossovers made from crappy components. So I had a dilemma - buy new drivers and get renewed pair of shitty speakers or build my own new speakers out of nice solid ¾” MDF…
I chose the second way.
I had a little previous experience with building speakers, but it was not really serious.

Almost every step on this way seems to be a new experience for me and I expect myself making stupid mistakes. I have to buy all the tools and materials needed and having not too much free time the whole process is going to take a while. I better be patient (I hope my wife will be patient too)...


So I started to recall all the knowledge I through the years trying to find some good recipes. Wise people on the Internet keep saying “for your first speakers choose a proven 2-way design” and bla-bla-bla. But who listen to a wisdom nowadays? Let's see...

And what a surprise! I picked up another Pioneer speaker at a dumpster. It works!
It seems to be the same design but I don't care, I'll use it as a test load for my experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment